An update for the delayed bot verification request process

Hi @alazymeme,

The note you received should be changed to say something more like, “Bot verification no longer grants enhanced whisper functionality as was previously stated in our documentation.” We’ll get this updated.

To confirm, all accounts, including bots, have the same whisper rate limit as defined here.

Is there an update to the backlog available?

I have a bot approaching 300 users so app restarts are definitely a pain point with the current 20/10 rate limit.

1 Like

What is defined as enhanced whisper functionality? The rate limit is stated on your website as All Twitch Accounts, despite new accounts not having the basic functionality of whispers. How can All Twitch Accounts have the same rate limit when new accounts can’t even whisper?

Severely limited refers to no whisper functionality over irc whatsoever.
If it’s highly recommended not to use whispers on a bot, then the documentation should be updated. As it stands, I have many bots with whisper access, all of which have zero issues whispering people.

Now that these dumb new bot rules have come into effect, the whisper system that worked perfectly for all of my bots, now no longer works due to the bots being declined from verification and new accounts being straight up blocked from using whispers.

The abuse that came from the verification system could’ve easily have been prevented by simply looking at an account’s activity on twitch prior to giving them verification.

1 Like

Because rate limits and anti-spam measures are 2 separate things. New accounts have the same rate limit old accounts do, but the anti-spam measures (which Twitch doesn’t disclose for obvious reasons) impact them more than old accounts.

As has been stated many times previously, there are a significant portion of devs who have been doing this for years who have some accounts that can send whispers, and some that can’t, regardless of age or known/verified bot status. If you’ve been lucky enough that you haven’t experienced issues then awesome, but it’s something that’s been warned about on the forums and TwitchDev discord for a long time now so if it’s impacting you now, that’s unfortunate but expected. Perhaps now would be the time for you to look into a solution more fit for purpose than whispers for your bots.

I agree that the docs could be updated to mention that there are other security measures in place to prevent misuse, but the specifics would likely never be included in the docs.

I’m also having the same issue. Restarting is a tedious task.