New Extensions policy for Content Security Policy (CSP) directives and timeline for enforcement

Suggestion. This banner, maybe it could be used to, idk, update major impactful changes. /s

If people aren’t keeping an eye on the places where these announcements actually happen (such as this forum), and having notifications enabled, what makes you think they will ever read that notification box? Additionally, not all devs have a need to visit the dev console on a regular basis so that box would have even less reach than current methods of communication to devs.

it was posted:

• To the forum announcments
  • TwitchDev Discord announcements (and thus published to all subscribing servers)
  • Twitch API/libraries server based on the TwitchDev announce above
  • Twitch Monthly every month since the original announcement
  • TwitchDev Twitter

Fairly sure it was touched on during Developer Day too

That banner sucks as it’s only on Console base not the Console Extensions page and I never go to base console myself. (I miss the “holiday” announcement every time till the forum announcement gets it for example or someone mentions it in the Dev Discord, I grumble about this one often)

So if it was on the console most people would of missed it since it’s not on Console Extensions as if you are doing extensions stuff people will address complete to that sub page rather than the root (or have a bookmark to their specific extension)

That aside I also wrote about it in November and spoke about it on Twitter and even published NodeJS middleware around 2 months ago! And updated it as needed as we went!

I’m sure others have spoken about this in other avenues too.

OH And it’s also been in the “your extension has been approved” email for the last few months too as a reminder! But of course you need to have done an update recently to see that!

I always go to the base console :sweat_smile:

• analytics, performance, change extension descriptions, etc.
  • or it happens when I switch organization accounts.

So personally (and perhaps others, because of the comments above) it is a great addition to show announcements.

Do you know both Sound Alerts and Stream Avatars are not working?
Lots of people are getting annoyed. This can mean they get discouraged and don’t want to use Twitch extensions.

Sound Alerts Seesm ok here

Streamers can also reach out to the support email for an extension.

We get so little feedback from streamers :frowning:

Maybe we should invite them to this forum :slight_smile:

I was speaking in general, about streamers providing any feedback on a given extension.

Weather thats feature requests, bug reporting, or general support. Even when I thrust links into their faces via config views/etc.

This forum isn’t a valid route to get help on $randomTwitchExtension since I can’t help with support for SteamLabs/Soundalert/streamvatars/expedition rome/etc can I or other users that frequent this forum?

Not sure if I agree. If you have a healthy user base, it is not that difficult to start a lively community on Discord (email an invitation). And there, if you see any notification from a streamer, always double-check and self verify their feedback.

the forum part was a joke btw

If you don’t do an oAuth loop, that requests email, where do you get the email from? Beyond looking for business emails manually?

Also means that you burn a Discord Guild slot of your 100 (paying for nitro not with standing) for a support vector you don’t often need. (yes a discord helps but it’s not useful in all cases). So if you use multiple extensions that one guild slot per extension. And then suddenly half your guilds you are in are extension guilds.

Bit of a cathc 22 here. But we are getting way off topic now.

what is a Discord Guild? lol. If you need to invest in Nitro, that’s still worth it.

And obviously, you should always do an oAuth loop and request emails. How else are you communicating updates to your user base?

Getting offtopic, but if you want help/advice on marketing… Just let me know. You have always been a great help to us, so happy if we can return the favour.

Discord “servers” are actaully called “guilds”.

and you are in more than 100 Discord Guilds?

My point was more expecting streamers to join a server/guild eats up their limit, especially if they have to join one or more guild of each extension they may use.

My count isn’t relevant really.

I’m not expecting anyone will join if the Discord is about support, you need to encourage them. Like exclusive announcements, have a say in the development process, run community events.

Great articles about communities are on here. https://thevtran.medium.com/

@CVS-Gaming Appreciate the feedback about the developer console. I’ll add banner update requests to our usual checklist for product update communication (e.g. like the upcoming v5 shutdown).

I would highly recommend turning on email notifications for the announcements category on the forums to receive a message when first posted. We’re also working to improve the percent of successfully delivered emails that are sent periodically to affected developers leading up to breaking changes.

3 Likes

Done! I was only receiving the automated “Summary” posts. And thanks for the banner update!

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi
It looks like this policy breaks facebook pixel, because it requires “https://connect.facebook.net” in script-src. Is there any way to keep it working?

Add the domain to your extensions CSP allow list, go through review, and release a new version of your extension.

Please add banners/alerts in the developer console in the future

2 Likes

Thanks, @Emef. Just to reiterate the commitment mentioned above: