Username changes / Identifying users?

user1 gets banned for a reason. Renames himself to user2 and then user2 appeals his ban. Mods have no record of user2 and thus unban him because it actually seems like he was wrongfully banned.

it does if you can trick a mod into unbanning you

Exactly my concern.

@Kinsi, @Mike111177 That sounds like a Mod issue if they fall for something like that then surely? If you’re keeping track of who had previously been banned and for why, then those records should include their Twitch ID so that for any unban requests you can refer back to that regardless of any name changes. And if you don’t log bans and their reasons anyway, how does the situation now differ from before unless your mods remember every single person they’ve banned and why?

We manually log bans. When we post a name and reason to the log there is really no good tool to just grab the persons userid from the desktop.

It is hard enough just to get the mods to log them at all.

Also in our case we have a year of logs already with no userids.

I think it does not help to discuss whether a moderator should or should not fall for a situation that could be avoided by sending user IDs in every IRC message (JOINs, PARTs, subscription messages etc.) in the first place.
This has already been requested multiple times before months ago, especially for the subscription mesage [1, 2], and there unfortunately has not yet been an official statement why this cannot be implemented (as far as I know).

So I’ll try it again here:
Is it possible to have user IDs on JOINs/PARTs and subscription messages etc.? Might it be possible to extend the subscription notification by also sending something like a USERNOTICE (e.g. with msg-id just being sub instead of resub in this case) to match the resubscription notification process? :slight_smile:

[1] How to detect initial subscriptions for people with "special" names
[2] Sub-streak STILL not fixed after 4 months? (last paragraph)

1 Like

Would it be possible to include a new IRCv3 tag, maybe something like previous-name?
It would be so much easier for moderation and chat logging
Thanks

That would potentially go insane if a user keeps renaming, and if its only the very last one its useless. Just use the id, its way more persistent.

It would be actually, but isn’t name change only available to a user every 60 days or something?

Need to stop trying to hold onto usernames and switch to IDs as soon as possible…

I’m not sure if this is a good argument to support something like a previous-name tag. I can easily construct a worst case scenario where a user changes his/her name twice before rejoining a channel’s chat and writing a message.
What @ceriath said - a user ID everywhere would help a lot.
Imho the right way to easily provide trackable user names while not forcing developers to violate the terms by collecting user data forever is to offer an additional API endpoint which allows to query for every name a user had by specifiying his/her ID.
Having said this, I think the missing user ID thing still has a higher priority right now.

1 Like

Seconded. I just dont understand how such a change can go live without being fully integrated beforehand, or at least on release. Same thing has happened with “special” names and obviously no change was taken from that “fiasco”.

I do agree. Yes, an API endpoint with a list of username a user had would actually be better than a previous-name tag. However, we’ll still have to rely on user ID for now.

Regardless, when a moderator is looking at chat, they don’t see peoples userid, they see their username. So when they go to tell a bot or a script or a program !somecommand (user) they have to type in the username. Moderators don’t remember userids, but they can remember usernames. So if you aren’t data mining all the userid’s, they are pretty useless after the fact.

What the moderator needs is to be able to do, is type in a username, and get returned a list of previous names of that user, without storing the data of every user who has strolled through chat on a hard drive.

This is all I am looking for. It could be a menu on the site for all I care. (Which would mean there would be an endpoint hidden in there probably).

Something like this would be much needed. At the moment, users who change their usernames can basically trick moderators by saying “I don’t know why I was banned” and any user logs would have been rendered useless.

logs should be stored by ID, not by name.

Moderators can’t see userid’s scrolling through chat, so how would that be useful to them?

There are currently ways to solve the issue though. Like if using a bot/script/program to track bans, to have the app do the work to retrieve the ID of the banned user, the mod wouldn’t need to know a users ID. For channels that are logging chat they can make sure user ID is logged along with username.

Yes it’s not perfect as there are some events where an ID isn’t included, but the vast majority of bans are for something typed in chat, which does include an ID.

The logging tool would store by ID and on request look up the ID from name and search by it.

Okay, but what if you are using none of the above. There should be a way for a moderator to this without 3rd party software. They should be able to click on somebodies profile and see their username history. There is a reason why steam does this and the same applies here.