We have been quietly testing and are ready to launch Anonymous Sub Gifting on Twitch at 1:30PM PST (UTC -8) on 11/15/2018!
The documentation has been updated with the implementation details for the product but here are some of the highlights:
- Users can buy gift subs and community gift subs without any recognition or link to their account
- Users will not earn sub gifter badges
- Users will not increment their “total gifts in channel” counter
In testing, we did realize there was a slight oversight on our part in terms of the pubsub and usernotice, specifically:
- We added the context “anonsubgift” to the channel-subscribe-events-v1 topic which does not have a sender
- We added the msg-id “anonsubgift” to the user-notice which defaults the sender to the channel owner
Because most of you aren’t listening to new/undocumented contexts and msg-ids, this will be a problem for trigger alerts and chat events at launch.
So for launch we are reverting the change as a temporary solution, specifically
Anonymous gifting added 3 new usernotices:
For launch tomorrow we will not be using
anonsubmysterygift for anonymous purchases, but instead are sending them as
submysterygift usernotices coming from a specific user
We will also be sending a secondary pubsub with the traditional
subgift context, again with the sender being
We will work closely with all of you to determine the best time to switch to the new model with
anonsubmysterygift and to turn off the additional pub sub. We are currently aiming to deprecate the temporary solution in 30 days.
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback to these updates, please leave comments below on this topic.