Getting Twitch chat from a channel

Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I’m a Masters student and starting to look for ideas for my final thesis. One idea came across my mind was to text mine twitch chat during Esports events and look at different patterns for data analytics. Now I have to be honest I am not a good programmer and don’t have much software background.

All I wanted to know if Its possible to grab the chat from any channel I want? or I can only do that from my channel? I have been searching forums and youtube videos but not getting an unambiguous/straight answer.

Thanks

You will want to see https://help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc for information on connecting to TMI (Twitch Messaging Interface)

There are several projects available on sites like github that could provide chat logging abilities. A quick google for “Twitch log bot” should yield lots of possibilities.

PS: you can connect/read the chat (read only/anonymous mode) by connecting as “justinfan00000” using a random number.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.