Indie Developer claiming ownership of game without URL?

Hi, I am trying to claim ownership of my game, but my issue is that we don’t have a website… This is just something that is not in the timeline for launch of our game… I find it stupid that you need a website to claim ownership of a game just to submit cover art for the game itself. Can anyone please help me… I want our game to have an image for its launch Jan 29th.

Claiming ownership of a game is much more than just gaining the ability to change cover art, it also grants access to analytics, and even viewership data through the Drops system, which for privacy reasons has to be kept secure.

Would you rather Twitch just let any random user claim ownership of your game without any checks in place? A domain name (not even a website, just simply registering a domain for your company which you can use as an email address) can help provide a lot of legitimacy to a claim of ownership of a game as the domain will have public whois information showing who owns that domain and usually their company office address (or PO box).

So the domain does not need to be hosted?

From my understanding, I need to get the domain, host it and add the contact email to the URL that matches your email with twitch. If this is not the case an I only need a domain owned by the email used on twitch. Please dumb it down for me because im not understanding.

I can’t speak to what specific information Twitch uses to process ownership requests, but the more info Twitch has to go on to ensure the legitimate owner of a game is the one making the request the easier it will be for them.

If the email address of a company attempting to claim ownership of a game matches the support email addresses for the game, and/or has registrant information that matches the company that is listed as the developers of that game, then that will make things a lot easier to prove ownership even if that domain isn’t hosting a website. If on the other hand it’s a gmail address, well then that’s more difficult to prove the person claiming ownship is the real developer and not a random person trying to maliciously gain access.

I mean at that point is just costs 10$ to steal ownership… They should just require screenshots of a dev portal from a store the game is published on… That would prove ownership, owning a domain does not prove ownership, anyone can buy them.

This is whats confusing to me:
URL of your organization’s website. If you are providing games you would like to claim below, the organization URL domain must match the contact email domain, or your registration request will be rejected .

Organization URL Domain must match the contact email domain…

So for instance if my company is Voidfiller Url must be Voidfiller.com and email given to twitch must be something like Jake@Voidfiller.com?

A domain that some random person purchased wouldn’t match the contact email addresses for wherever the game is published, such as Steam Store.

If for example I released a game, even if I didn’t have a website I would still have a domain that matches that on the Steam Store, or Epic Games, etc… and the WHOIS information for that domain would have my business name and address listed, which would match the public information for the game developers of the game I’d be trying to claim ownership of. If some random person registered a similar domain and sent an ownership request to Twitch, the name, address, would be wrong and it wouldn’t match any known reliable sources that say it’s a legitimate email associated with the game.

Thats kind of the problem, Their description of matching URL Domain Emails is very vague…
I have an email address listed on my steam store, but obviously i have to change everything over just to make twitch happy… an also spend money in the process just because they don’t have any other option for verifying people. I made a business email specifically JUST go get the IMAGE on the game.

Does the website need to be hosted an contact email on the hosted website? Do they only look at the WHOIS info? nothing is stated and that’s my problem. Kind of sounds like half of their ToS rules for streamers :man_shrugging:

As I’ve said previously I can’t speak to what specifically Twitch use to verify who the legitimate owner of a game is, there may not be any specific requirements listed because Twitch may have access to a range of methods and tools available to them to investigate the ownership claim. Also as I mentioned claiming ownership of a game gives access to much more than just setting artwork, so it’s crucial that legitimate ownership can be verified.

I’ve messaged someone at Twitch to make them aware of this thread, and they may be able to assist you with your game ownership request when they are available, and provide more clarity as to what info you need to provide.