Returning channel id of 0

Hi all,

Recently ( as of Tuesday, March 25 at 11:00 AM PST ), there has been some stream data being returned by the API that has a channel id of 0. The rest of the channel information in the JSON is null, 0, or an empty string, but some of the actual stream data remains intact. (ie. viewers, _id)

I tried to call the Twitch API on a whim using postman and I found it happening again.
The URL used was
The time of the call was about 5-10 min before writing this post.

      "_id": 25143878112,
      "game": "",
      "community_id": "",
      "viewers": 931,
      "video_height": 720,
      "average_fps": 30.487804878,
      "delay": 0,
      "created_at": "2017-04-26T19:20:59Z",
      "is_playlist": false,
      "preview": {
        "small": "",
        "medium": "",
        "large": "",
        "template": ""
      "channel": {
        "mature": false,
        "status": "",
        "broadcaster_language": "",
        "display_name": "",
        "game": "",
        "language": "en",
        "_id": 0,
        "name": "",
        "created_at": "0001-01-01T00:00:00Z",
        "updated_at": "0001-01-01T00:00:00Z",
        "partner": false,
        "logo": null,
        "video_banner": null,
"profile_banner": null,
        "profile_banner_background_color": null,
        "url": "",
        "views": 0,
        "followers": 0,
        "broadcaster_type": ""

Just brining it to your attention and hopefully it can get fixed!

Do you know how frequently this is happening? I’ve hit it a few times and see all the data. Curious if there is any pattern to it.

For what it’s worth we’re querying the same endpoints rather frequently and we’ve seen this occasionally as well. I checked our logs between ‘2017-03-25 17:55:00’ and ‘2017-03-25 18:15:00’ UTC time and saw an increased error rate. Looks like between 2017-03-23 18:03:54Z and 2017-03-23 18:05:54Z were the most errors. It looks like it may be related to a code deploy as we are seeing it almost exclusively on weekdays.

@DallasNChains we also saw this a bit today around 20:00:00 UTC was there some sort of deploy at this time?

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet seen a pattern in it occurring in a particular game, channel_id, stream_id, etc.

It looks as if a particular stream is returning false data, but as of now it seems to random to determine exactly which streams are being affected. I will try to have a closer look into it as well.

We haven’t seen any more channel_id: 0 or null arguments since Tuesday, May 2 at 2 PM PST. So thanks for whatever you guys did!

@Benjamin_Dillinger No problem! It was actually a deliberate change to return partial data in case of an internal service failure or slowdown, but I asked them to revert it until we could communicate that type of change since it is an unexpected developer experience. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.