Whisper Limit Query

Hi there,
I’m just trying to work out what the whisper limits on the page at https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/irc mean.

It says:

3 per second, up to 100 per minute
40 accounts per day
160 recipients per day

I’m just wondering what the difference between a recipient and an account is? If I want to give away 140 game codes in a day via whisper to 140 different people, with all whispers being sent by the same account (and 5 minutes apart), that’s only 140/160 recipients, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance!

Don’t. That’s basically spam. You will look 100% like a spam bot.

As noted here Whispers limit - Not using a bot - Can't send more whispers

Whispers are not designed for this sort of conversation. There are many better ways to deliver codes

I understand how it would look like spam, but I wouldn’t have said that it’s “basically spam.” They would be messages sent in response to competition entries, so none of it is unsolicited.

“Whispers are not designed for this sort of conversation. There are many better ways to deliver codes”

Duly noted - thanks for the advice. Which better ways would you suggest? Last time I did this, it was via standard Twitch Inbox messages, but it was tricky to do that whilst on stream. Just looking for an easier way that I can code up to semi-automate it, mainly.

Only if you are replying to a whisper, otherwise it’s unsolicited in the eyes of automated monitoring for spam.

Get a mod to do it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.